Calla Lily - Knowledgebase Question

Mertztown, PA
Question by TPlatz3671
I have just gotten Calla Lily Bulbs and I need help in knowing how to care for them. I understand that I must start these now to get a bloom from them. I live in zone 6. My goal for them is to plant them outside (not keep them in a container). My question is what kind of soil and what type of pot should I start them in? When can I transplant them outdoors? Then in the fall how do I lift them and store them over the winter?

0

Since you are going to plant them outside, you can use any standard potting soil to start them. Use a pot large enough to fit them comfortably -- a six inch pot would be more than enough for one. Transplant them outdoors when the danger of frost is definitely past and the soil has warmed. This may be several weeks after your last average frost date, but it depends to some extent on the weather each year. In the fall, dig them up carefully, shake and wash off the dirt and allow them to dry. Store them in a moderately cool (say 50 degrees) and dry spot for the winter.