Transplanting Raspberries - Knowledgebase Question

Leaf River, IL
Question by edeline
I need to move black raspberries from one garden to another. Do I have to wait until after frost and what is the best way to do this? I need to know how far apart to place them and the best way to support them.

0

The best time is in fall or late winter when they are dormant. However, you could do it now if you get as much soil as is practical, disturbing the roots as little as possible. Plant them immediately after digging. Make sure and water them in well after planting. Then keep them moist for the next few months to get them off to a good start.

Since black raspberries are not the most vigorous of brambles, I would suggest you set them at a spacing of 3 to 4 feed apart down the row. They do not need a support. Check out the following publication for information on how to prune them into a good hedgerow:
http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/hort/g06000.htm

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"