Water Does Not Drain In Yard - Knowledgebase Question

Roslyn, PA
Question by faithndale
After it rains, water stands in my backyard for a day or two before it drains. It's like a rice patti. Last year,I dug a 34" deep hole for a pond.The soil was dark, not much clay.There are two large cedar trees which provide shade late in the afternoon. What can I do to impove the drainage?

0

It sounds like you have a potentially serious run-off problem. However, based on your description it is perhaps also possible that that area was intended as a sort of cachement area for surface runoff and is functioning exactly as it was intended to do since the water does drain away in a few days. If this is the case, changing it could cause other problems as a consequence. I would reccommend that you bring in an engineer or a landscape architect or other grading and drainage professional to take a look at it on site and make suggestions.