Rhododendron Toxicity - Knowledgebase Question

OR
Question by lwsherman
March 25, 1999
I have a garden site selected between two large rhododendrons. However I read that if ingested a rhododendron can kill a child. (I have two small children) Does this mean the soil is contaminated also or is it just the flowers that pose the danger? I do plan a raised bed but should I simply not plant there at all?


Image
Answer from NGA
March 25, 1999

0

All parts of Rhododendrons are toxic if ingested, but having the plants in close proximity to a vegetable garden will not contaminate the soil or the crops grown there. You may be surprised to learn that the leaves of Rhubarb are poisonous, but the stalk is safe to eat when cooked. As with all plants in the garden, discourage your children from picking and tasting at random. Point out the plants that are safe to pick and eat, or plant a special bed in the garden that your children can safely harvest on their own.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Hibiscus 'Purpureus Variegatus'"