Deadheading Petunias - Knowledgebase Question

Name: kathleen dedrick
Milton, FL
Question by kathyd43
I thought deadheading was pulling off the faded petals of my petunias. Am I supposed to cut the whole flower off after it fades, and now that seeds are producing where I only pulled off the blooms, do I cut the seeds off?

0

Deadheading is cutting off the blooms, after they are spent and on their way out. It is useful on some flowers to keep them looking tidy and blooming well.

I don't think that is necessary or practical for petunias. They will keep on blooming fine and look great without deadheading. Sometimes an occasional shearing back of the entire plant a bit may be helpful to encourage a flush of new growth and blooms, as well as a bushier plant.