Shady Area Groundcover - Knowledgebase Question

Chico, CA
Question by THEBIGJOKE
I have a shady area on the north side of my house, in zone 8. Are there any groundcover type plants with flowers or colorful foliage that will grow in this area? Something that would keep cats from making it their favorite place would be a plus!

0

In your California zone 8 you can grow Vinca (Periwinkle), Star Jasmine, Parthenocissus, Houttuynia or Cissus in a shady bed. Vinca produces both a spring and a fall flush of color, with blossoms of white, pink or blue. Star Jasmine blooms with tiny, but powerfully fragrant white flowers in the spring. Houttuynia has insignificant flowers but is available with cream and white variegated leaves. Once your groundcover gets established it will become thick enough to discourage cats from visiting the area.