Live Oak Leaves As Mulch On Lawns - Knowledgebase Question

Savannah, GA
Question by GeraldF469
I have been told it is good to mulch live oak leafs into the grass when mowing. However, to me the slow rate of decomposition of the oak leafs makes me doubt the advisability. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

0

Turf has a difficult time thriving under live oaks and other semi-evergreen trees. Perhaps this is why some people have surmised that leaving leaves in the turf is detrimental.

However, I have mulched leaves from oaks, pines and many other types of trees for a number of years. It works fine! For best results, mow with a mulching mower to chop the leaves up as much as possible. This will speed decomposition and make them less visible in the meantime.

Thanks for the question!