Container Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Somerville, MA
Question by doug73
April 11, 1999
I live in a 3 family house with a porch which is directly above my downstairs neighbors' porch. I'm planning on growing vegetables in containers but don't want to get my neighbors wet as I water the pots. I bought fairy long (25"-30") & deep (12"-16") plastic pots at but can't find trays to put underneath them. Any suggestions where I can find trays or how I can make something which will catch the water as it runs through the holes? I've thought about putting rocks in the bottom of 1 pot, poking holes in an identical pot, and placing the pot with holes in the other. This would have the smallest footprint but seems like a waste of a pot. Any ideas?

Answer from NGA
April 11, 1999


You are a thoughtful neighbor! How about if you build a wooden frame, with or without a bottom, and line it with several sheets of thick-mil plastic sheeting? Another alternative is to use a slow-drip watering method that won't flood the pots. There are lots of gadgets available at home centers these days to serve this purpose. I also recommend Burpee's Terra-Sorb, a soil additive that reduces watering chores (see the Burpee website at for more info). Best of luck!

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:



[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Adenium Obesum"