Easter Blue Hydrangea - Knowledgebase Question

New Castle, PA
Question by Marinom0
I received a blue Hydrangea plant for Easter. It has 5 huge blue flowers with a couple waiting to bloom. When do I replant this plant in a sunny location? Any tips for success will be appreciated.

0

Since your hydrangea is in full bloom you will need to protect it from any possible frost. You will also need to acclimate it gradually to being outdoors since it has been in a protected greenhouse environment and now been through the retail process. Hydrangeas do well in moist yet well drained soil that has ample organic matter in it and will grow in partial shade or sun. Be sure to keep it well watered and mulched once you have planted it. I should caution you however that sadly not all of the "gift plant" varieties of hydrangea are fully winter hardy.