Magnolia Turning Yellow - Knowledgebase Question

New Egypt, NJ
Question by jsmith316
I have a magnolia tree that was planted about 3 years ago in my yard. This spring, the leaves began turning yellow. What would cause this? Also, what type of fertilizer should I use for the magnolia?

0

All magnolias prefer a deep, rich, moist and acid soil to perform their best and may yellow if there is a deficiency in any of these qualities. Evergreen magnolia varieties may also yellow if subjected to excessive winter wind and sun. Since there are a number of reasons a magnolia might yellow, you might wish to take a sample to your County Extension (349-1247) for a definite diagnosis and a suggested remedy, if any. At the same time, you might also wish to perform some basic soil tests to see if the soil pH or fertility need to be adjusted -- and the results of the tests will tell you what type of fertilizer to use and how much to use. Your County Extension should also be able to help you with the soil tests and interpreting the results.