Deformed Pine - Knowledgebase Question

Fairport, NY
Question by ndohrn
A previous homeowner planted a flowering crabapple too close to a large pine tree. We have taken down the crabapple, but there is now an obvious "hole" (brown branches, no pine needles) in the pine where the two trees grew into each other. It doesn't look very nice. What should I do, if anything? Will this area eventually green up? I hate to remove the dead branches because then it will look even worse.

0

Unfortunately pines do not resprout from old wood, so it may not fill in the way you would like it to. The best it will do is to direct new growth on existing live branches toward the new source of light and fill in somewhat that way. It may take several years before you see a real change; perhaps you will come to think of it as "picturesque" the way it is.