Black Tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

Gig Harbor, WA
Question by proart
I need information on growing, maturation, etc. on black tomatoes. I ought the plants at the local nursery but they
didn't know much about them. How do I know if they are ripe? Are they edible?

0

You probably have the Black Prince Tomato from Siberia. You'll find the interior of the fruits to be a deep red to brown with shadings of chestnut. The fruits will be medium sized, smooth and round. They are edible, having a juicy, full tomato flavor. Expect the fruits to begin ripening about 70 days after transplanting into your garden. Harvest when the shoulders are dark, but still showing a trace of green. You may have to sacrifice a fruit or two by cutting them open to see if they're ripe. Once you have experience, you'll be able to tell exactly when they're ripe. Culture for this tomato is the same as for any indeterminate tomato - full sunshine, water as necessary, and a trellis or other support (such as staking) to keep the plants from sprawling on the ground.