Rose of Sharon Flowers Wilt - Knowledgebase Question

Marlton, NJ
Question by earlyone
Every year my Rose of Sharon begin the season with beautiful blooms. After a couple weeks, they continue blooming, but the new blooms quickly wilt. I have sprayed, but don't really think they are being eaten. Is this normal evolution? ...the leaves remain fine and they grow rapidly.

0

Based on your description I'm not sure if there is a problem or not; in some cases Japanese beetles will eat into the flowers and cause them to fade more quickly than normal. Otherwise, it may simply be that the weather is taking its toll: as the weeks progress and the season gets warmer (and usually drier) the flowers may simply not last as long. I think too we notice the faded blooms more after the first gorgeous flush of flowers -- there are after all more of the spent blooms on the shrub as time goes on. You might try a deep watering once a week while the plants are in bloom and see if that helps at all. As long as the shrubs seem healthy otherwise I doubt it is anything to worry about.