Care of Cardiocrinium gigantum - Knowledgebase Question

Parsippany, NJ
Question by ganttc
I would like some information on the proper care of Cardiocrinim gigantum, a plant, native to the Himilayas, that grows from a bulb and eventually produces a stalk of white flowers. Mine is small, presently growing in a pot and with leaves on the yellowish side. I would like to know what its fertilizer, light (it does not seem to favor deep shade), water, soil, humidity and temperature needs are. I would also like to know if its seeds can be used to start new plants.

0

Cardiocrinium gigantum is native to the Himilayas and Tibet. It has the potential to grow to 12' tall with 1 1/2'long strap-like leaves and fragrant 6" long white flowers striped with red inside. This plant is commonly sold as 'Easter Lily' in the U.S.

General care tips include keeping the plant cool during the growing season (50F during the day), give it bright light but not direct sunlight, keep the soil moist at all times and mist the leaves occasionally. Reduce watering as the leaves turn yellow and the stems die down, keeping the soil just barely moist. In the autumn, repot the bulb in fresh potting soil, keep it moist and in a cool, dark place. When shoots appear, move the plant to a brightly lit spot.

Your plant will not produce viable seeds, but will produce offsets from the bulb which can be separated and planted in their own pots.