Plant Care - Knowledgebase Question

Sacramento, CA
Question by kristin94
I am new to California's Central Valley and need some tips on caring for my herbs and vegetables potted plants as the weather grows drier and hotter. Will full sun be too much for the plants to handle?

0

Whenever the temperatures soar your potted plants will need extra attention. Be sure to water when needed, even if it's twice a day during the summer months. Herbs and veggies prefer growing in all day sunshine, but their roots might cook in the containers unless you take some precautions. Either place the pots your plants are growing in inside larger pots with a few inches of potting soil between the outer and inner pots to act as insulation, or provide shade to the pots by placing a board between them and the hot afternoon sun. Or, if possible, move the plants to a site where they will receive protection from late afternoon sunshine. With a little extra attention, your containerized herbs and veggies should thrive.