Transplanting Hot Peppers - Knowledgebase Question

Brookfield, CT
Question by lhgiii
I have read that when you plant hot pepper plants outside in the spring that you plant them deep, up to the first set of leaves, similar to the way you plant tomatoes. Is this true?

0

Tomatoes can root along their entire stem, so burying most of the stem helps promote a stronger root system. I checked with a friend who grows hundreds of tomato and pepper plants in his market garden. Although he does bury his tomato stems, he does not do so with the peppers, as he has found no advantage in it. He recommends transplanting the peppers at the same level they are in the original pot. He grows dozens of pepper varieties with great success!