Collards - Knowledgebase Question

Viroqua, WI
Avatar for TZabel0
Question by TZabel0
May 12, 1999
What are collards? Webster just defines it as, "a stalked smooth-leaved kale." Thank you.

Answer from NGA
May 12, 1999
Collards are a type of kale, or "green". You have, I'm sure, heard of folks cooking up a "mess of greens"? Especially folks in the south? Well, they are usually cooking up Collards, Mustard Greens, Poke Greens, Turnip Greens, etc.

Collards look like cabbages that didn't head properly. They are usually grown as a winter crop in the south, but gardeners in the north can grow them as a summer to fall crop.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Lucius93 and is called "Herald of heat"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.