Gardenia Care for Potted Plant - Knowledgebase Question

Monsey, NY
Question by maryglp
Received gardenia plant. Know it is acid loving. I try to put in light shaded area. Should I use Miracid on it now? Only had one bloom, but it is gone now. Hope it will bloom..any other suggestions on care?

0

soil mix and plenty of bright light with ample humidity and a moist but not soggy soil; often they will tolerate a short stay in the house during winter but then need to be returned to the optimum conditions of a conservatory or greenhouse in order to rebuild strength to bloom again the following year. In my experience it is really best to enjoy a gardenia as a "bouquet" without trying to keep it as a houseplant -- unless you have a greenhouse. It helps to think of gardenias as one-season plants and be prepared to replace them each year; that way, if yours thrives you will be pleasantly surprised.