Slime Mold - Knowledgebase Question

Hanover, MD
Avatar for dhobart7
Question by dhobart7
May 16, 1999
I have something in my mulch beds that the local co-op calls "dog waste fungus". It is a fungus (I think) that starts off as a yellow mass, then turns into a brown gooey mess. Can you tell me what this stuff really is, and how to get rid of it?


Image
Answer from NGA
May 16, 1999
Welcome to the wonderful world of slime molds! These goopy fungi (Myxomycetes) live on dead organic matter and thrive in moist conditions. You can rake it out and dump it in the trash; especially in the early stages before it spreads its spores. Increasing the air circulation and allowing the soil to dry out will help eliminate the stuff. To help stop the growth of slime mold, just rake any mulch on the soil surface to expose it to air and sunlight. It's perfectly harmless - just revolting to look at!

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Zoia and is called "War Horse"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.