Watering New Leyland Cypress - Knowledgebase Question

Silver Spring, MD
Question by jomelbar
I recently planted a 4.5 foot Leyland Cypress Tree. How often should I water the tree? Whenever I water, how much water should I use? And, for what length of time should I continue this watering schedule?

0

Those are good questions, but difficult to answer in terms of "how long". The key is to apply enough water to soak the soil in the area in and just around the plant's root ball. Then allow it to dry out for a couple of days and resoak. You want it to be moist, but not stay soggy.

After about two or three weeks of this schedule, you can begin to water an area about 6 feet in diameter, giving it a good soaking once a week or so. By the end of the year you may be watering a 10 foot area every two weeks whenever it doesn't rain an inch.

A good rule of thumb is to apply an inch or so whenever you water. A coffee can makes a good sprinkler gauge. Once the tree has had a year to establish and get growing, it can do with less pampering.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"