Red Beetle-Like Insect - Knowledgebase Question

Brockton, MA
Question by fumi5
When turning my soil, I am turning over a small reddish pest. It has a hard beetle-like appearance about 3/4 of an inch long in a capsule like shape without a noticeable head or legs. It moves when disturbed but still resembles a red capsule. I would like to know what kind of bug it is.

0

I didn't find a likely candidate in my references from your description. It can be quite difficult to identify an insect without seeing it, particularly since insects can have a variety of life stages they go through and can actually be beneficial in one stage, and a "pest" in another. Iowa State has an impressive web site with links to dozens of web sites dealing with insects. Perhaps you can recognize the insect there. Good luck! www.ent.iastate.edu/List/