Flowers on Chives - Knowledgebase Question

Oconomowoc, WI
Question by ldrather
I checked your Q & A. I see that some people allow the chives to flower and some not. What are the advantages/disadvantages for allowing them to flower? Mine have already flowered. Do I cut these flowers off and can I still use everything but the flower?

0

Some people enjoy the appearance of the chive flowers (I like the globe shape) and depending where it's planted, it can add visually to the garden. If you let it flower, you can collect seeds to plant next year, or to use in a seed exchange with friends. Some chives will flower again later in the season if you cut them off.

Some greens taste bitter once they go to flower, but I don't think that's a problem, since the chive, in my opinion, is still edible. And by the way, so is the flower! Try tossing it in a salad! Thanks for using our database.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"