Transplanting Dames Rocket (Hesperis) - Knowledgebase Question

Franklin, ME
Question by sheehan6
Help! I've planted some Dames Rocket in a very fertile garden and they've taken over. I like them and would like to save them. Can I transplant grown plants into a new spot so that they'll bloom this year?

0

These plants are usually biennials so if they are of blooming age they will bloom, set seed, and die this year. You might just let these bloom and then yank them out since they will die anyway. Another way would be to transplant the youngest nonblooming plants, another would be to weed out all but the best and save seed from these to start more elsewhere, or to try to transplant. The longer you wait the harder it will be to move them. Water them well the day before, dig as large a rootball as you can, replant immediately into prepared soil, and water them in well. Keep a good eye on the water until they seem to have adjusted to the new location. Good luck with your plants!