Moisture Gauge - Knowledgebase Question

Murfreesboro, TN
Avatar for Sommardahl
Question by Sommardahl
May 30, 1999
This winter I installed an irrigation system. Now that it is up and running, I need a way to gauge if my turf and plants are getting the proper amount of water in each zone. Is there a gauge on the market which can be used to determine this? I did purchase one at a hardware store but found it to be unreliable.

Answer from NGA
May 30, 1999
I use a simple soil probe to determine how deeply water is reaching. Use any long, sharp, pointed piece of metal or wood. Push it in the ground. It will move easily through moist soil, and stop where the soil is dry and hard. Asa general rule of thumb, trees and shrubs should be watered to a depth of 2-3 feet; turf, 4-6 inches, annuals, 12-18 inches. It's not fancy, but I find that it works well!

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Natalie and is called "Clematis (Clematis x jackmanii)"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.