Figs Won't Ripen - Knowledgebase Question

Portland, OR
Question by ba3
I have a Texas fig tree that sets fruit in the late summer. It never gets a chance to ripen before the weather gets cold. When is it ripe? Am I waiting too long to pick it?

0

Fig trees generally set two crops of fruit, but the second crop rarely has time to mature here in the Pacific Northwest. The first crop is usually ready to harvest in August and then the tree sets a second crop which does mature. Our winters are such that the second crop never matures and is abandoned by the tree in favor of setting flowers for a late summer crop. Since you're growing a 'Texas' fig, perhaps the cultivar is the wrong one for your gardening region. The most prolific performers in the Pacific Northwest include 'Desert King', 'Bordeaux', 'Peter's Honey' and 'Brown Turkey'. Figs are ready to harvest when they begin to drop from the tree on their own. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"