Hardiness of Pineapple Sage - Knowledgebase Question

Leavenworth, KS
Question by schroyer
I bought a pineapple sage plant this spring and planted it in a pot. If it is a perennial should I plant it in a flower bed instead of a container? Also, can I make it bushier?

0

Pineapple sage (Salvia elegans) is hardy only in Zones 7 to 10. It may have some trouble making it over a hard winter in your climate, especially in a container. You could cut it back and bring it into an area that doesn't get too cold.

You could plant it in a black plastic nursery pot with hole in the bottom and then sink the pot into the soil for easier fall lifting and transporting indoors.

For a bushier pineapple sage, shear back the growing tips by about 1/4 the height of the plant, once or twice in early summer. However, I have found this unnecessary as they tend to fill in and get really bush if grown in full sunlight.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"