|On my front lawn I have an area that has pine bark mulch and sum small evergreens. Every day I go outside an see a yellow substance that seem to be growing in different spots. Could you possibly tell me what it is? And what can be done about it.
|Answer from NGA
June 1, 1999
|Welcome to the wonderful world of slime molds! These goopy fungi (Myxomycetes) live on dead organic matter and thrive in moist conditions. You can rake it out and dump it in the trash; especially in the early stages before it spreads its spores. Increasing the air circulation and allowing the soil to dry out will help eliminate the stuff. To help stop the growth of slime mold, just rake any mulch on the soil surface to expose it to air and sunlight. It's perfectly harmless - just revolting to look at!
« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage