Eggplants in Container - Knowledgebase Question

Walpole, MA
Question by poornima
I have six eggplant seedlings that I started from seed and that are now too big for their current pot. I want to eventually have the eggplants in a container. Do I now transplant say 3 each to a big container, or do I successively move to bigger and bigger containers? I am afraid with the latter option that they might get stressed from so much replanting. What size container should I use and how many should I have to a pot?

0

You didn't say how big the seedlings are. If they're transplant size (like you'd purchase from a nursery), plant them in their "final" pot. If they're still fairly small, you can move them up a size, but put one seedling in about a 4" pot. It's easier to transplant them when their roots aren't co-mingled. From there, transfer to your final container--one plant per each 15 gal container (approximately). Eggplants can get bushy so give them plenty of room to grow. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"