Perennials for Sunny Courtyard - Knowledgebase Question

Grand Island, NY
Question by Deaphyduck
I have been assigned the project of selecting low maintenance perennials for a courtyard at work.The couryard is surrounded by 10 ft. high masonry walls. It is sunny and retains the heat during the spring and summer, but this is western NY, so the plants will be affected by winter temperatures generally in the 20's during the winter.

I was thinking of daisy type things, day lilies, sedum, alyssum around the edges, maybe perennial sweet peas to climb on the wall. What is that vine that frequently grows on trellises (can't think of the name?) Several rose bushes exist there now. Any other ideas? These plants have to be one step up from dandelions as far as caring for themselves! Thanks.

0

might wish to look at a couple of basic books. I particularly like the Dummies series for straightforward, helpful information. "Gardening for Dummies" by Michael MacCaskey (ISBN 1-56884-644-4) will get you started, "Roses for Dummies" by Lance Walheim (ISBN 0-7645-5031-4) will answer all your rose care and pruning questions, and "Perennials for Dummies" by Marcia Tatroe (ISBN 0-7645-5030-6) will help with the smaller plants. Of course, you can always check in with the Q&A and its database, too!

Good luck with your project! might wish to look at a couple of basic books. I particularly like the Dummies series for straightforward, helpful information. "Gardening for Dummies" by Michael MacCaskey (ISBN 1-56884-644-4) will get you started, "Roses for Dummies" by Lance Walheim (ISBN 0-7645-5031-4) will answer all your rose care and pruning questions, and "Perennials for Dummies" by Marcia Tatroe (ISBN 0-7645-5030-6) will help with the smaller plants. Of course, you can always check in with the Q&A and its database, too!

Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"