Winter Bulbs in Container - Knowledgebase Question

East Amherst, NY
Question by BUSES
I planted spring blooming bulbs in the fall in those newer fiberglass lightweight containers ,and they did not bloom,when I empty the pots the bulbs were mush...what happened and what did I do wrong? Want to try it again,but I need more specific instructions...I probably planted 30 bulbs to a pot,16" pots?

0

The most probable reason for failure is that they literally froze and that is what caused them to turn to mush. Generally the best way to display them in containers is to plant them in utilitarian pots and sink the pots into the ground for the winter so that they chill but are insulated from the extreme cold, then pull the pots and either transplant the bulbs or simply sink the pots into the decorative containers. The other possibility is that the soil was too moist and that caused them to rot. Be sure the soil mix you use is a well drained one as most bulbs really do not tolerate excess moisture. Good luck with your next try!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"