Okra Spacing - Knowledgebase Question

Ferndale, MI
Question by lebaudroy
I need to know how far apart to space okra when transplanting. I would also like any other information about transplanting and growing okra.

0

Okra develops into a fairly large plant, so provide 18" between plants. It thrives in the heat, so transplant when soil temperatures are warm. (It does well sown directly from seed also--soak the seed in water overnight to aid germination.) Depending on your soil's fertility, it will probably help to provide nutrients. Organic sources of nitrogen (fish emulsion) and phosphorous (bone meal) work well, or apply a balanced fertilizer. When pods start to appear, they need to be harvested every 2 days or so, or they will get tough. Good luck with your okra crop!