Healthy Amaryllis Fails to Bloom - Knowledgebase Question

North St. Paul, MN
Question by lindy852
I had great blooms on an Amaryllis for three years, but this year the bulb sent out a profusion of leaves but no flower. Does this plant have a dormancy year for blooming or has it reached "retirement" age?

0

Amaryllis are considered robust and should repeat their performance for many years. The plants do need a period of warmth before they'll produce a bloom, so perhaps that was missing this year. Since the foliage appears healthy, I'd take a chance that the bulb is taking a season off from blooming and will produce a flowering stalk next year. Continue to care for it as you've been doing and give it another chance. If it fails to bloom next year, replace it with a healthy new bulb.