Lawn As A Litterbox - Knowledgebase Question

Los Angeles, CA
Question by lizstaley
I have a problem where a cat who lives outdoors constantly uses my lawn as his litter box. Outside of getting a dog or placing a real litter box on my lawn, do you have any suggestions?

0

It's unusual for a cat to use a lawn as a litterbox; they generally prefer soft soil in a flower bed so they can dig and bury their deposits. If the cat visits regularly and you see him, squirt him with a hose or turn on the sprinkler system to chase him away. It's a difficult situation unless you're home and can catch him in the act. If the lawn is small, you might be able to put up a barrier until the cat gets the message and takes his business elsewhere. Try placing two rows of stakes around the perimeter of the lawn and criss-crossing fishing line between the stakes, keep the line 6" above the ground and crossing every 6"-8". Cats are afraid they'll get caught in the line and will generally avoid the area. Hope this helps!