Lawn Clippings - Knowledgebase Question

South Attleboro, MA
Question by rbrennan
This Spring I reseeded my yard, Now that the new lawn is coming in strong, I have to mow at least every 4-6 days. I recently aquired a new lawn mower with both a mulching blade and a bag. Obviously it is faster and easier to use the mulcher, but one of my neighbors said this could damage the grass. Is it harmful to use a mulching blade and not bag the clippings or should I always bag it?

0

Immediately recycling grass clippings, or 'grasscycling' as it is sometimes called, is a great idea! Grass clippings contain some nitrogen and moisture, both good for lawns. If you mow regularly, the mulching blade will do a good job of cutting the clippings into small pieces suitable for immediate broadcast back onto the lawn. This will not harm your lawn in any way, or cause the build-up of thatch. If, however, the grass is allowed to grow too tall for efficient grasscycling, bag it and compost it or lay the clippings out in piles to begin the decomposition process. In my yard I bag if I've missed a regular mowing and have tall grass. Otherwise I just leave the clippings on the lawn.