Weeping Cherry Tree Problems - Knowledgebase Question

Jackson, NJ
Question by laurarosali
I have a weeping higan cherry tree - about 5 years old. This year it flowered well but after flowering has shown signs of fire blight. In addition, many of the leaves have holes, as if damaged by insects. I have used a fungicide - Bonomil - for the past two weeks but there seems to be no improvements. In addition, I have tried to prune off all affected branches but I am afraid of killing the tree. Is there anything else I can do?

0

There are several possible reasons for the symptoms you have described ranging from insects to diseases to drought stress or several problems combined. Unfortunately based on your description it is impossible to make a definite diagnosis, and without an accurate diagnosis it is impossible to make suggestions as to what to do. You might wish to take some samples of the damage to your County Extension (349-1247) for evaluation and a more specific identification of the problem as well as suggested remedies. I'm sorry about your tree.