Removing Honeysuckle - Knowledgebase Question

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Question by jolimey
The house we just bought has about 8 years worth of honeysuckle growing as a ground cover on our back garden slope. We've been pulling and chopping it up, to remove it because it is so out of control. We've removed most of it, but it's starting to grow again! I'm trying desperately to kill it with lack of watering, and brush killer - any ideas?
What would be a good, easy care ground cover that wouldn't get wild like this?

0

I think the best strategy for controlling the honeysuckle is to keep it cut back as soon as it sprouts. Since leaves manufacture food for the roots, if you keep the stems and leaves cut back the roots will eventually run out of energy. It's labor intensive but effective.

A replacement might be Ice Plant or Gazania. Both bloom over long periods, both are vigorous but easy to control.