Planting Red Sedums - Knowledgebase Question

Bellevue, WA
Question by larnes1
I received 48 creeping red sedum roots from a mail order nursery. There was no information on how deep to plant them. Only how far apart. My first try failed. Not one sprouted. I wrote them a letter explaining everything and they sent me more but still didn't tell me how deep to plant them. Any suggestions?

0

Sedums root readily, if you just barely cover the roots with soil. If the stems are planted too deeply they'll rot. Make sure the soil is very well-draining; add some builder's sand if yours is heavy or tends to stay wet for long periods of time. I'd prepare the planting bed then just scrape the surface deeply enough to accommodate the roots, laying the roots on their sides rather than burying them in the soil. Cover the exposed roots with only a half-inch of soil and water them in. I've had excellent results planting sedums this way. You should see new growth within 10-14 days. Better luck with this batch!