Asparagus - Knowledgebase Question

Pilot Hill, CA
Question by w6sun
I have an asparagus bed that is approximately four years old. I presently keep it well watered through its growing time until winter when it dies back. I have been told conflicting advice as to whether I should be watering it or not during the summer season. Should asparagus be watered until it dies back in the winter?

0

Asparagus should be treated just like any other perennial plant, so it's a good idea to irrigate asparagus while it is in the fern stage. Irrigation is especially important during the asparagus plants first year. While this advice sounds like watering is an option, I've found the plants produce better when they're irrigated all summer long. Finally, be sure to cut the asparagus fern back only after it has turned brown. Sometimes, the ferns will not turn brown until after the first frost. It is important not to cut the ferns back too soon because the result is a weakened plants and a reduce in yield the next season.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"