Flavorless tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

Bakersfield, CA
Question by dgmairs
My tomatoes, about 6 different varieties, don't have a lot of flavor this year. There are a lot of tomatoes and they look very nice. Do I need more fertilizer or less water?

0

If your plants are in full sunshine and rich, moist soil, they should produce flavorful fruit. I like to pick tomatoes when they are fully ripe because I think they taste better that way, but a nearly ripe tomato will continue to ripen after it is picked. If you pick a tomato too early it will either rot before it ripens or the flavor will be poor. Picking them a day or two early might conserve a small amount of the plant's energy, but probably not enough to make that much difference. Letting the tomatoes become over-ripe results in a spoiled harvest; if they are too ripe the tomatoes will fall off anyway.

Try harvesting when the tomatoes are really ripe and they'll probably have a lot more flavor. Enjoy!