Deadheading Russian Sage - Knowledgebase Question

Minneapolis, MN
Question by andrea65
I recently planted 4 Russian Sage plants (they're about 3' high), and I was under the impression that I need to deadhead them, but am not sure how. The flowers are little, so I don't think I would need to pick those off (plus they seem to just fall off), do I cut the whole branch that holds all the little flowers on it off? OR do I just cut the whole top of the whole plant off? I'm confused!

0

Russian Sage, or Perovskia 'Blue Spire,' is a woody, multi-stemmed plant that grows to 3' tall. The spikelike clusters of flowers that form above the foliage can be cut down when they're old and spent. In fact, if you cut the flowering stems down now, your plant may produce a second flush of bloom. General pinching and pruning of the foliage isn't really necessary at this time of year. The top of the plant will go dormant in the winter and you can prune it back then to keep the plants bushy and compact.