Sparmannia Africana - Knowledgebase Question

philadelphia, PA
Question by KKrippendorf
I would like to purchase a plant or if not available seeds for the house plant called SPARMANNIA AFRICANA. who might have these available? I would also like to receive any information on how to grow them indoors. I once obtained a plant from Switzerland but it died for reasons I do not know and I fear that the temperature wasn't right. I also purchased some seeds while travelling through Germany but they did not grow and I fear they were too old.

I would like to have any advice regarding this plant.

0

Seeds of Sparmannia Africana, also called Indoor Linden or African Hemp, are available from Cyberseeds, PO Box 171102, San Antonio, TX 78217. It's a fast growing tree outdoors but the size can be controlled by pinching and pruning. It makes a dense shrub-like houseplant with apple green, heavily veined leaves covered with coarse hairs. It will grow in bright, sunny spots indoors and requires lots of water in the spring and summer; less water in the wintertime. Feed weekly during active growth but do not feed during the winter months. The best temperature for Sparmannia is 70F in the summer and 50F-60F in the winter. Trim the plant back after flowering. As an indoor plant it is susceptible to spider mites. Hope the above information helps you grow a lovely houseplant!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"