Ruby Queen corn - Knowledgebase Question

Lodi, CA
Question by dsmfarms
I planted some Ruby Queen corn but the ears are yellow instead of red when ripe. Any ideas on why?

0

It doesn't sound as though you're growing Ruby Queen, does it? I'd say the package was mismarked or the garden plot was misidentified. Ruby Queen is a Hybrid SE Sweet Corn, ripening in 75 days. It's a new sweet corn color that's really red! You can enjoy Ruby Queen at two stages. Pick it when it's blush-red for maximum SE sweetness. Or let it ripen to full red so it can develop its rich, old-fashioned corn flavor. The meaty ears are 8" long with 18 rows of juicy, very tender kernels. Plants are 7' tall and often bear 2 ears apiece. There's no need to isolate from other corns, but we suggest that you grow another SE variety with Ruby Queen to help with pollination. (Breeder's Choice corn is a perfect companion.)