Winterizing Apple Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Ridley Park, PA
Question by scap
I planted an apple seed this past April and it is being kept in a pot outside. It has been growing well, but I am not sure what I should do when winter comes. Should I leave it outside so it can follow its normal seasonal growing patterns, or can I bring it in the house so it can keep growing?

0

It would be better to let it follow the natural seasons, so if you can sink the pot in the ground in a protected spot that would probably be the best. Do however, be very careful to protect it from rodents by placing it in a wire cage or similar protective device. Also, move it outside in early fall so it can acclimate to a gradual weather change. Good luck with your little tree!