Moving Perennials - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Cheryl Mohr
Adrian, MI
Question by cherylmohr
I have a yarrow and a catnip plant that have taken over! They are smothering some other plants that are around them, can I transplant them now or do I have to wait until spring? I am afraid if I wait that I will lose the other plants. The plants are 1 year old.

0

Late summer or very early fall is generally a better time to transplant, but these are both very vigorous plants so you could probably do it now with some extra care. Water them well the day before, cut them back hard, then dig them up with a nice big rootball and replant immediately. Mulch and water well, then keep and eye on the water until they are reestablished. On the other hand, you may find that you are able to cut them back very hard now and that will suffice to protect the other plants for about another month. Good luck with your transplanting!