Bolted Sedum - Knowledgebase Question

Xenia, OH
Question by DianneCaugh
Sedum, grew big and leafy, but now the flowers look as if they've "bolted" all separated and don't appear to have set buds. This is the second year and last year the plants had beautiful flowers, I've watered and fertilized this growing season.

0

BAsed on your description I'm not sure what is happening. Some of the taller sedums such as "Autumn Joy" will grow tall and then splay open. This happens if it needs to be divided (I would't think this is the case in the second year) or in some cases if it has been overwatered and/or overfed. These plants really do not require coddling with extra water or fertilizer (assuming average soil and precipitation) because by nature they are very thrifty. You will probably find that they go ahead and bloom nonetheless -- it is still a bit early to be expecting blooms on many types of sedum.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"