Squirrels Eating My Tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

Encino, CA
Question by jeannine_rou
I have a problem with squirrels eating my tomatoes, they are averaging 3 to 5 tomatoes a day!..What can I do
to combat this problem?....Help!..I'm losing my crops to squirrels!..

0

Dealing with squirrel is tough, but there may be some help for you.

One of the easiest solutions is to cover the soil around planting beds with sheets of 1-2 inch diameter wire mesh. Squirrels don't like to walk on it.

You can also try pruning trees so the lowest branches are at least 6 feet above ground and placing 2 foot wide metal bands around the tree trunks, positioning them so the bottom of each band is at least 2 feet off the ground. This will discourage squirrels from taking up residence in your yard.

I realize these aren't really simple solutions...but it's not a simple problem! Are you sure that squirrels are the only culprit? Could you also be having trouble with a woodchuck, or a family of rabbits?