Mustard Seeds - Knowledgebase Question

Weatherford, TX
Question by christy17
Do you know of a white or yellow seed that is related to mustard seed's that are used for canning? Do you know the name of this seed and where I can purchase it? They are usually found in stores for canning but I have no luck finding the name of the seed.

0

There are two major types of mustard seed ? white (or yellow ) and brown (or Asian ). A third species, the black mustard seed, has been replaced for most purposes by the brown species because the latter can be grown and harvested more economically. White mustard seeds are much larger than the brown variety but a lot less pungent. They're the main ingredient in American-style mustards. White and brown seeds are blended to make ENGLISH MUSTARD. Brown mustard seeds are used for pickling and as a seasoning, and are the main ingredient in European and Chinese mustards. The name of the seed is Brassica birta. Mustard seeds are sold whole, ground into powder or processed further into prepared mustard. Mustard seeds are available from Anderson Herbs, 195 E. 600 S., Anderson, IN. 46013. Or visit the following website:
http://www.mustardstore.com/