Vine Resistant To Whitefly - Knowledgebase Question

Santa Barbara, CA
Question by chauptman
I am looking for a fast growing perennial vine (20-30 feet) for an area that is part shade, part sun. Our town has been hard hit by giant whitefly and I know (by horrible example) that I should avoid jasmine and wisteria. I'm considering a bower vine/pandorea. Any other suggestions?

0

I wish there were absolutely, positively a list of plants that are not attractive to whitefly, but there really isn't. Whiteflies are sucking insects, so any tender growth is fair game for them. Wisteria does get bark on the older growth, but the tender new stems and leaves are definite targets, as would the new growth on most any vining plant. Ivy is probably the only thing that whiteflies aren't terribly fond of, but ivy won't provide flowers or fragrance. Even though they're not resistant to whitefly, Lonicera (honeysuckle), Pandorea, and Clematis are good choices for your gardening region. You might just plant your favorite and plan to deal with the whiteflies for another year or two. Eventually natural predators will arrive to balance out the problem in the garden.