Mountain Pink - Knowledgebase Question

Apalachin, NY
Question by val58
15 years ago my mother bought several one year old plants in a catalog called "mountain pink" or "mountain pinks". She bought it as a one year old plant. This plant is a perennial and is a good groundcover plant. It blooms in the spring with white, purplish, reddish, or pink flowers. It doubles in size covering the ground each year. I know that several plants go by the name mountain pink and so far I have not found any that match this description. Can you tell me the official name of this plant, so that I can find it? I would also like to know if you sell this plant either as seed or as one year old plants.

0

You're probably looking for Centaurium (sometimes called Erythraea). This is a very low-growing plant (up to 8" tall), with clusters of red or pink blooms. The plant is suitable for rock gardens or as groundcover, and it self-sows readily. Seeds are available from Cyberseeds, PO Box 171102, San Antonio, TX 78217-1102.