Honeysuckle Flowering - Knowledgebase Question

Leominster, MA
Question by PJR3151
I have had two honeysuckle plants;(Lonicera), one for two years and one for four years and I am still waiting for them to flower. They are growing like weeds, but refuse to flower. How long does it take for them to flower, and what can I do to precipitate flowering?

0

These plants are normally very generous with blooming early and well so I'm not sure what the problem might be. Lonicera heckrotti (Goldflame) blooms on new growth and will bloom as long as the plant continues in active growth. Goldflame pruning would be done in winter or very early spring. Lonicera sempervirens (Trumpet Honeysuckle) blooms on old wood from the previous season and occasionally on new wood of the current season so any pruning would be done in spring immediately after flowering. Is it possible you have been pruning at the wrong time? Another possible reason is lack of sun, but since they are growing well I would suspect the pruning.